Sunday, February 20, 2011

OPPOSITES ATTRACT

Global village by Tino Djumini
OPPOSITES ATTRACT
            How ICT ’s support communities in their efforts to increase the standards of living in remote regions.
Spotlights’ philosophy and founding spirit embraces the idea that sharing knowledge is the foundation for education and the beginning of lasting change which brings benefit to all parties. In today's era of global development Information Communication Technologies (ICT's) have increasingly changed the life of people and societies. Benefiting from all the opportunities it brings to organizations, governments, individuals or actually everyone who has access to the internet and knows the basics of working with a computer . Almost hard to imagine a life without Google, Yahoo, FaceBook and Twitter social forums which connect people from across the globe in a wink of the eye. Sharing information and communication has never been so easy without having to leave your office desk or home.
           Undoubtedly significant is the impact of ICT's in regard to fulfill our social needs of interacting with others whether it is for personal or business purposes. From this point Internet, digital network, mobile devices enhance communication and enable exchange of information on a tremendous scale, something only few could imagine since the beginning of the digital revolution. In less than a decade Western civilization and culture has expanded throughout the globe finding its way to remote areas bursting into the daily life of average households. A development accelerated by innovation and entrepreneurship of visionaries who turned small businesses into giant multinationals which names I already mentioned.  It's not the product they sell moreover a way of life that makes people feel being part of something bigger. Empowering communities to speak out freely, to publish their works without restrictions and shopping around while doing the work. Of course we still need to breathe some fresh air from time to time, touching, smelling, tasting, grasping, having the sense of being human and not just an extension of a virtual reality that surrounds us.
Since two years I never used my out of office replies however I 'm intending to use this feature again otherwise people might think I'm dead or something really worst happened to me. For the ones out there “I'm still alive!” although changed my destination and areas of work. Dedicating more time to community services and assisting young people in their aspirations of being part of something "BIG"(Believe In God) this doesn't mean I'm a missionary who preaches the words by the "Holy Lord".  It seems I solved the puzzle of bringing together the opposite sides of reality. Implementing ICT's in the daily life of indigenous communities by unlocking and connecting remote areas through digital networks, brings me all the benefits of what I'm good at creating, developing, working with the computer and at the same time serving the community. A more challenging job I couldn't imagine.  
            I just needed the time to figure out how all those pieces fit together... Not the question of what to do but rather what not to do. Culture, arts, computers, development cooperation and so on, over the years work has become “life” something which worries me, noticing the same happened to friends and people in my surrounding. Reminds me about a song "Where is the love?" Black Eyed Peas, no time for long conversations in the park, strolling around the coast, gazing at waves, plunging into crystal clear water of an ocean, having a decent breakfast in the morning and waking up realizing there's somebody who laughs at my jokes...Time for change starting with cleaning up my desk and put an end on all those spam glutting my mail box. "Seize the  day, carpe diem….!”
           
Tino

tinodjumini@gmail.com, tinodjumini@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment